POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Brute force rendering : Re: Brute force rendering Server Time
2 Aug 2024 08:17:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Brute force rendering
From: Warp
Date: 3 Mar 2008 17:09:24
Message: <47cc7714@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
> 4. Some kind of bounding box hierarchy acceleration system is needed.

  Yeah, that's one of the biggest problems in raytracing, and rendering
in general.
  Making a simple raytracer is a piece of cake. Making one which is fast
even with hundreds of thousands of objects is a lot more laborious.

  POV-Ray is a prime example of a raytracer which has bounding box
hierarchy optimizations: Render a simple scene with 10 spheres in a
home-made raytracer and with POV-Ray, and the render times may be
comparable. Render a scene with 100000 spheres with the home-made
raytracer and POV-Ray and the Sun will probably die before the former
gets the job done, while POV-Ray doesn't take significantly longer.

  Btw, for a very good-quality and very fast RNG, you could also try
this: http://burtleburtle.net/bob/rand/isaacafa.html

  It's horribly ugly C code. I have made a clean C++ implementation if
you are interested.

  I measured the algorithm (compiled with g++ 4.1.2), and with my
computer (Pentium4 3.4GHz) it generated 150 million random numbers per
second. According to the author the randomness should be of very high
quality (cryptographically strong).